Adding media files to the Media Library
You can upload files to the WordPress media library in a few different ways.
Upload directly to the Media Library :
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and select Media in the left-hand menu.
- Select Add New to upload a new file.
- You can either:
- drag and drop files into the media library, or
- select Select Files and then choose the photos, images, audio, or other files that you want to upload.
- Once you’ve selected the files you want to upload, select Open to start the upload process.
- Wait for the files to upload. The time it takes will depend on the size of the files and your internet speed.
- Once the upload is complete, you can edit the file details, such as the title, caption, and alt text, by selecting the file in the media library and then selecting Edit.
Upload from within the WordPress editor:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and navigate to the page or post where you want to add media.
- Select the “+” icon to add a new module.
- Select the Photo or Video module, depending on the type of media you want to add.
- Select the Select Files button to upload your media file.
- Choose the file you want to upload from your computer and select Open.
- Wait for the file to upload. The time it takes will depend on the size of the file and your internet speed.
- Once the upload is complete, you can edit the file details, such as the title, caption, and alt text, by clicking on the file in the media library and then selecting Edit.
- To add the media to your page, simply drag and drop the module into the desired location on the page. You can then adjust the size and position of the media using the module’s settings.
Note the following restrictions for media files:
- You cannot upload .svg or .bmp to WordPress
- WordPress cannot display .heic images
Was this article helpful?
Need more help?
If volunteering during an event, use #help-support in Slack. Otherwise submit a support ticket.Support Ticket